(801) 243-0699

Kevin@SLCHomes.com

Ways To Make Your Home More Eco-Friendly

May 6, 2021 | Home Tips

Making an eco-friendly home doesn’t mean you have to drastically change your lifestyle or your house all at once. Instead, you can start small, with little changes here and there.

If you have been dreaming about making a green home, this article will show you the different ways for how to make your home more eco-friendly.

Change Your Light Bulbs

Did you know that by simply changing to LED or fluorescent eco-friendly light bulbs, you’re already going green? LED and Fluorescent light bulbs are incredibly efficient and consume less energy.

They also produce less heat, all while still allowing your house to be brightly lit.

Use the Clothes Dryer Less

Using the dryer regularly wastes electricity or gas, resulting in more expensive energy bills and contributing to your carbon footprint. When possible, and if your house has a balcony or a yard, hang your clothes outside. If you use the dryer, don’t dry the clothes all the way, and hang them up to finish drying them.

This practice will help your clothes last longer and maintain their original colors.

Have a Recycling Bin and a Compost Bin

If you don’t have a recycling bin in front of you, chances are you won’t have the motivation to start separating your trash. This is why it’s important to have a separate bin for recyclables so that the act can become subconscious for you.

Compost bins can decompose organic materials and form compost rich in nutrients for the natural environment.  Having this bin will allow you to spruce up your garden all by yourself. This allows you to both save money and contribute to conserving the environment.  Another popular option is green waste garbage cans provided by your city.

Install Solar Panels

If your house is compatible with this, you can install rooftop solar panels on your property and source your electricity from there. This means you will get to reduce the amount you would usually spend on energy bills, and you’re also protecting the environment by switching to a renewable source of energy.

It’s important to consider local regulations. It makes sense to also consider the number of years it will take to pay the solar panels off based on the cost of electricity, so you can make an informed decision.

Fill Your Washing Machine and Dishwasher All the Way

Before running the dishwasher, make sure you fill in all the way. This ensures that you are not wasting water.

If you have pots or pans or only used a few plates or glasses, you can wash them by hand.

I rinse my dishes before I load my dishwashers and then use the “Quick” cycle, which runs it for about one-third of the regular cycle time.  The same rules apply to your washing machine.

Slow the Flow

Utah is a high desert, and the large majority of our water is used for irrigation.  In fact, 80% of our water is used by farms and ranches, and the other 20% is split evenly between residential and business.  We all need to do our part to conserve water; we’re in a drought.

Many homes have secondary water at a flat rate, and as a result, there is a lot of waste.

When it comes to watering your yard, only water as much as you need, don’t water during the heat of the day, eliminate grass in the hottest parts of your yard, and replace it with water-wise plants.

Different Ways to Create an Eco-Friendly Home

If you are wondering how to make an eco-friendly home, you can achieve plenty of ways, and the steps are simple. You can switch your light bulbs to LED or fluorescent, reduce dryer usage, have recycling and compost bins, install solar panels, fill your dishwasher and washing machine up before running them, and water your yard less.

These different techniques seem small, but even the tiny steps matter when saving the environment.

Sign up with us today to find a suitable home.

Search

Popular Posts